In the morning of September 1, 2018, H.E. Dr. Kin Phea, Director General of International Relations Institute Cambodia of Royal Academy of Cambodia, on behalf of H.E. Sok Touch, President of the Royal Academy of Cambodia, met with Dr. Rafal Smoczynski, a scholar from Polish Academy of Sciences (PAS) to discuss academic collaboration.
At the meeting, H.E. Dr. Kin Phea, briefly introduced the background of the Royal Academy of Cambodia (RAC) to the guest. H.E. Dr. Kin Phea said that RAC was originally established in 1965, however, by the time war broke out in Cambodia in 1970 it had still not started operations, and in the following years it disappeared completely amidst the turmoil of the Khmer Rouge period. RAC was reestablished in 1999 with six sub institutes – the Institute of Biology, Medicine and Agriculture, the Institute of Culture and Fine Arts, the Institute of Humanities and Social Sciences, the Institute of National Language, the Institute of Science and Technology, and the International Relations Institute of Cambodia. The National Council of Khmer Language is also under the administration of RAC.
During the meeting, both sides discussed on academic collaboration between both institutions, and agreed on the following items:
1. Submitting initiatives to Presidents of respective academies for their consideration in signing MOU between the two institutions.
2. Introducing specialized scholars from RAC to attend in conference organized by Polish Academy of Sciences next year.
3. Promoting scholars exchange between the two institutions.
4. Creating networking between the two institutions.
5. Exchanging publication between the two institutions.
At the end of the meeting, Dr. Rafal Smoczynski expressed his warmest thanks to H.E. Dr. Kin Phea and colleagues for welcoming and holding fruitful meeting, and he would bring the meeting results to the President of PAS for his consideration and future collaboration.